C of E Junior School
Copthorne Church of England Junior School
CHURCH ROAD, COPTHORNE, WEST SUSSEX, RH10 3RD Telephone: 01342 712372 – FAX: 01342 718513
E-mail: of firstname.lastname@example.org Head’s e-mail:email@example.com
As you will be aware, we have been fortunate in having a group of parents, who with the support of
the school, school governors and local councillors have been actively campaigning for improved road safety outside the Junior School. Over the last few years, children have been hurt and there have been
a significant number of near misses and so the Road Safety Group’s main goal has become that of the road closure outside the school during drop off and pick up times, term time only.
To date they have succeeded with a number of initiatives:
- Creation of the School Travel Plan.
- A Crossing Person to assist in the children’s safe crossing across Church Road outside McColls.
- A park and stride initiative.
- Extra parking arranged at the Prince Albert Public House and Social Club.
- Deliveries with McColls rearranged for times outside of the school run.
- A banner to remind everyone to stay off the double yellows and zigzags.
- Local media coverage of the problem.
- Attendance of the Parking Enforcement Of cers.
- Media page.
- A time lapse video.
- A short road safety lm, made by the children, parents and staff of the school, 40,000 views.
- Support of the school, governors, Parish Council, West Sussex County Council and the local PCSO.
- Liaison with residents.
- Fund raising through a local Comedy Night.
- Four articles in the local press.
With all of the above, the school has been awarded the West Sussex Gold Travel Mark Award Level 2. Normally this would take two years but the group managed to achieve this level in 9 months.
To reduce the level of danger immediately outside
the school, I am asking that everyone respect and follow the voluntary one way system that runs from the T junction opposite McColls, along Church Road to the Vicarage. The bene ts of everyone following the one way system will mean there will be NO issues with cars passing each other on the yellow zigzags lines directly in front of the school and causing a danger, as is the current situation. This is indeed the most dangerous area, due to the restricted space for parents waiting to collect and children spilling out at the end of the school day onto the road.
The voluntary one way system at Fairway has existed for a number of years and is a good example of where this type of initiative has worked, reducing traf c congestion and danger to the children. I would like
to see the voluntary one way at the Junior School, recognised and supported by everyone in the same way that Fairway’s system is supported.
The Road Safety Group have arranged for a sign to be installed opposite McColls on the corner of Church Road within the school boundary to remind everyone within the school and wider community that this voluntary one way does exist. I would ask that you adhere to the one way system between the hours of 8.15 – 9.15 am and 2.45 – 3.45 pm, term time only. I am aware that it may take a while to reach everyone and make them aware, so please do tell friends and family etc.
Please do give us your support with our endeavours, to help make it a safer environment for your child and all children who attend, visit or will attend in the future at Copthorne Junior School.