Nutella Iced Buns from Sam’s Kitchen
Nutella Iced Buns
450g strong white flour
1 tsp salt
5g dried fast action yeast
50g caster sugar
280ml tepid milk
1 egg, lightly beaten
A little milk to brush the tops
Nutella or similar chocolate spread about 3-4 tbsp.
A little just boiled water
Makes 12 iced buns
- Place the flour in a large bowl, add the salt to one side and the yeast and sugar to the other side. Stir to combine.
- Add in the most of the milk and all of the egg, bring everything together with your hands to form a sticky dough (adding a little more of the milk if needed). Take the dough out the bowl and place on the work surface. Gently knead until smooth and elastic in texture, about 5 minutes. You can use a mixer with a dough hook instead of mixing by hand, it will only take a couple of minutes. Place back in the bowl and cover with a damp tea towel or some oiled cling film. Leave in a warm place to double in size, between 1-2 hours.
- Remove from the bowl and knock the dough back. Briefly knead. Then divide in to 12 equal portions. Either weigh the pieces to be very accurate or do it by eye.
- Roll each piece into a ball. Then roll out into a 10-12cm long sausage shape. Place on a greased/lined baking sheet, repeat until you’ve made all 12, space out over 2 baking sheets so they have room to expand. You may find some shrink back, just roll out a little again and they will hold better. Cover loosely again and leave to double in size somewhere warm, for about 30-40 minutes. Preheat the oven to 200°C (180°C Fan) GM6 400°F.
- Brush the tops with milk. Bake for 12-15 minutes until golden brown on top. Cool on a rack. When cooled completely, mix the chocolate spread with a little just boiled water and stir through. You’ll need enough water to make the icing spreadable but not runny. Then spread across the tops of the cooled buns. Add sprinkles if using. Enjoy ♥